Peek inside a Leatherback Turtle’s (Dermochelys coriacea) mouth: How to eat jelly fish when your mouth is an exquisitely evolved jellyfish deathbed.
We know turtles like to eat jellyfish, and the Leatherback likes them most of all. However, this is the biggest turtle, consuming a prey that extremely low nutritional value, therefore it has to nom on a lot of them. As it does so, it takes in saltwater as well. The jellies and the saltwater get stored in the esophagus.
What happens next you ask? Is it to do with the horrific looking backwards facing spines that don’t look comfortable in anything’s mouth?
But of course! Because that is the beauty of evolution, the refined logic of adaptation.
The muscles of the esophagus squeeze the seawater out of the mouth and the spines, which get progressively larger down the esophagus, hold the jellyfish in place. Once all the water is gone, the jellies are passed into the stomach.
This is one of the many *awesome* characteristics of the leatherback turtle - trawling for jellyfish on this earth for over 90 million year.
Trawling for fish/shrimp (by humans, not leatherbacks), is one of the reasons Leatherbacks are classified as Critically Endangered by the IUCN Red List.
Source: Evolution FB
- pinheart reblogged this from thirdoffive and added:
- thirdoffive reblogged this from mad-as-a-marine-biologist
- thatdamnspades reblogged this from mad-as-a-marine-biologist
- katedebacco reblogged this from mad-as-a-marine-biologist
- starbatranger reblogged this from mad-as-a-marine-biologist
- somniaandram likes this
- itshade reblogged this from mad-as-a-marine-biologist
- mermaideggsalad likes this
- willblanco777 likes this
- redkrypto likes this
- b4rbl3 reblogged this from ihavenothingclevertosay
- jenslsn likes this
- amberrbearr likes this
- faenfaenfaen likes this
- ihavenothingclevertosay reblogged this from biggwillystyle
- biggwillystyle reblogged this from mad-as-a-marine-biologist
- ecarinae reblogged this from mad-as-a-marine-biologist
- deadmolecules likes this
- tahukida likes this
- openedpremises reblogged this from mad-as-a-marine-biologist
- detourist likes this
- darkmatterraptor likes this
- pockyonsteroids reblogged this from mad-as-a-marine-biologist
- pockyonsteroids likes this
- lyannwayway likes this
- mayaread likes this
- heil-kitty-satan likes this
- leopard-onthe-run reblogged this from elegantbuffalo and added:
- blkperegrine likes this
- privilegedkulture reblogged this from spiro-streaming
- justannotherkidfromyesterday likes this
- spiro-streaming reblogged this from thephuckery
- aeorys reblogged this from mypocketshurt90
- coralreefcat reblogged this from discoverynews
- pantofobos likes this
- deathclawenthusiast reblogged this from mad-as-a-marine-biologist
- adamwking reblogged this from discoverynews
- satteredhunter likes this
- todreamofcrows reblogged this from satteredhunter and added:
- satteredhunter reblogged this from mad-as-a-marine-biologist
- hook020 reblogged this from discoverynews
- evilmagistrate likes this
- beesarealiens reblogged this from wotcher-doctor
- beesarealiens likes this
- runitsjess reblogged this from holygaystorm
- xxxkiller69xxx reblogged this from floofybombus
- xxxkiller69xxx likes this
- wotcher-doctor reblogged this from floofybombus and added:
- floofybombus reblogged this from iseektheholygrail
- edgebug likes this