Great question! I’m a bit stumped myself! IPCC is the go-to resource obviously, but since you have specific subjects in mind I’d recommend going through the references (I know, I know - there’s a lot), but they are great starting points. Ctrl or Cmmd+F and a keyword can be your best friend.
Here’s a couple of papers that my Uni housemates wrote - it’s ocean acidication but on physiological factors - they may help too :)
The Tideline Project by the David Suzuki Foundation
This cool little project shows the effects of climate change a little closer to home.
“Global warming is in our future, but it doesn’t have to be our fate”
Global warming infographic by Josh Overton feature with a tutorial in Issue 73 of Advanced Photoshop 2010
We are writing to ask you to consider adding a ‘Conservation’ or ‘Environment’ featured tag.
We’re not outright asking. We know that featured tags are those that have a certain amount of traffic, but please consider the following:
1. The field of conservation is wide-ranging. As a result related content is tagged under a mix of terms. Combining the traffic for the following (and related) tags could amount to enough traffic for a featured tag. Like Science, with it’s different fields, combined under one umbrella term.
- Sustainability (already featured in your directory)
- Climate Change
- Global Warming
- Wildlife Trade
- Renewable energy
- Endangered Species
Followers, please feel free to add to this list any tags that may have missed out.
2. It’s the right thing to do. Conservation issues are as pertinent to modern society as Science, Politics, Film, Fashion…….even Nail Art which has it’s own featured tag.
3. Tumblr is opening up as a platform for high profile conservation organizations, much as Facebook and Twitter are now the most used platforms for sharing conservation news.
[Edit] Forgot Earth Hour. How silly!
Social media is a powerful tool in conservation, and can make a difference in the “real world”. We’d hate to see Tumblr left out of the excitement. Especially with it’s viral powers.
4. Tumblr has been an essential part of publicizing social and political changes in several countries during protests and revolutions last year. The content that would be featured in this tag involve changes that affect us globally, and deserve a share of the spotlight.
We hope you will consider looking at the combined content of the above tags to see if they merit a featured tag.
As there is no central email to contact Tumblr on, please reblog and spread the word if you agree!
Antarctic king crabs (Neolithodes yaldwyni) warming up to invade continental shelf, threatening unique marine community
Stephen Tung (special to Mongabay)
Dangerous and disruptive king crabs lurk in a deep pocket of the Antarctic continental shelf, clamoring to escape their cold-water prison to reach and permanently change the shallower, prehistoric paradise above.
The marine communities on the underwater shelf above Palmer Deep are unique, Aronson said. “It’s much more reminiscent of the Paleozoic era before all those shell-crushing crabs and bony fish and bottom-feeding sharks and rays evolved,” he said. “The bottom communities in Antarctica are anachronisms. They’re a window to the past. They’re going to get modernized when these crabs show up.”
Workers at Israel Electric Corporation’s Hadera plant have removed some 100 tons of jellyfish from the plant’s filters in the past three days. The power plant sucks in seawater to cool its turbines, and in summer the jellyfish – considered an invasive species - are drawn in with the…
There are over 600 million cars in the world and every year they release 1.7 billion tons of CO2 into the atmosphere compared to the 7.59 million tons released by airplanes. In American 120 billion gallons of oil is used every year to fuel the ever growing car culture.
… the car still…
Public transport all the way!